Friday, February 12, 2010

Question it

A little while ago I had learned about the Four Noble Truths. The book I'm currently reading suggests that an easier way to look at the Four Noble Truths might be to look at them as questions. Questions to ask yourself when you feel as though you are hurting

*Am I suffering? What's the situation that's causing the suffering?

*What keeps me from being happy? What am I attached to about my suffering? How do I identify myself with it? Is it real? Does it have a life of its own? Is it physically present here and now? Is it in my mind? Is it permanent?

*What if I let go of my attachment to all in the situation that's not immediately present, and the self-image I identify with that situation? Then would I be happy?

*How can I cultivate a better way of living that doesn't fall into the same patterns I fell into all over again?

I think the author really hit the nail on the head with these. The are a great way to allow yourself to step back and find the root of your problem, frustration, etc. And once you know that problem, it becomes much easier to deal with it, remove it, etc, and move onward with enjoying your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment